Please Register or Log In to see more forum boards.

Author Topic: Chinese bowl ?  (Read 164 times)

samborsu

Re: Chinese bowl ?
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2020, 09:54:28 »
Yes, I came to live in the US 40 years ago and i briought this with me. I had it already for a few years

peterp

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2020, 08:29:19 »
You are sure that you are not mistaken? 50 years ago most Chinese arts and crafts could only be exported via Hong Kong because it was still closed off. There was little faking and most ceramics would have been either new, or real antiques, sold via Hong Kong; almost no imitations were being made in China at the time as they had no access yet to the large foreign market.

Large scale faking started only in the 80s or 90s. If it was made then, it could have been made only for sale to unknowing foreigners. It is too obvious that the base is not right. This type of wide foot rim and spiral bottom is not traditional Chinese workmanship. The spiral and color covering it is also nothing appearing on  traditional or antique Chinese porcelain of more than a thousand years.
BTW, I forgot to mention that the shape is also a bit odd, in my view.

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2020, 08:18:14 »
Thanks Peter for bringing that up, I agree the foot is not like the traditional wares that I have seen.

samborsu

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2020, 08:04:14 »
I bought it 50 years ago

peterp

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2020, 07:56:33 »
Yes, Fangge ware, but the bottom looks as if it is a very recent imitation.

samborsu

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2020, 02:26:31 »
Thank you. Yes the red is quite dull even brownish

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2020, 01:21:29 »
I believe this is Fangge ware, the crackle is artificially induced, it is hard to see in these pictures but the red color probably has a dull shine which would be later Guangxu period, early 20th century.

samborsu

Chinese bowl ?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2020, 21:29:58 »
Hello, Does anyone have an idea of where and when this was made?
thank you