Please Register or Log In to see more forum boards.

Author Topic: Unglazed Blue and White porcelain unmarked fish bowl planter  (Read 4447 times)

peterp

• Adept
Re: Unglazed Blue and White porcelain unmarked fish bowl planter
« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2015, 17:58:27 »
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but even then, rust spots are not an absolute age sign. You need perhaps a 40x magnifier and it will look like a stone or something else embedded in ice (in winter). You can see the part within/under the ice also, and it is less clear. Sometimes the rust spot has a three dimensional look. In the picture below it looks flat.
Rust can also be painted on or iron oxide embedded artificially; so holding on to one single age sign does not help. Many can be imitated, that is what makes Chinese porcelain more difficult to authenticate. The fakers reproduce almost anything.
However, the use of this type of transfer printing is virtually final, because in China transfer printing  did not start until later in the 20th century.

Thefinder

« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2015, 04:27:16 »
I try to enlarge the pictures, but my camera is not good enough. To answer the question, yes they growned out of the glaze. The big rust spot is particulary without glaze the other ones, you can see a little part without glaze. 

peterp

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2015, 18:54:33 »
Rust spots can be artificially added. You need to enlarge to see if it has grown out of the glaze.
The top rim shows transfer printing, as do many branches on the inside.
The fine outlines on the outer decoration could also be transfer, while the filling is hand-painted.
The decoration overall is not executed as they normally do with Chinese decorations. Not sure if it is Chinese or just imitating Chinese motifs.

Thefinder

« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2015, 10:19:21 »
Really!! So how the rusts spots can appear after only 20 years? I tought the rusts spots only appear after 100 years. The lady told me she bought it from a import/export in the biginning of the 80's

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2015, 09:54:27 »
This is modern, not more than 20 years I think, the decoration is very sloppy, made for tourists Im sure, looks Chinese, but the decoration is modern.

Thefinder

Unglazed Blue and White porcelain unmarked fish bowl planter
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2015, 09:45:00 »
Hi! I need some information about this one! I know its old but i realy dont know how many years? As you can see on the picture, there's a lot of rust spots and a big one from 1 inch to the bottom
The bowl height: 12 inches. Diameter: 14.5 inches,
There's some sand at the bottom and rust spots too!

So, if someone can help me on this one, i'll appreciate!

Thank you!