Please Register or Log In to see more forum boards.

Author Topic: Flambe Bowl - Chinese Or Japanese?  (Read 3725 times)

kardinalisimo

Re: Flambe Bowl - Chinese Or Japanese?
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 09:51:15 »
Peter, was the body double glazed? The lips are white crackled glaze and you can see the same color on few areas where the red did not cover them. I wonder why there are so many cracks on the foot edges. Maybe the support ring did stuck? Also, the shape is not perfectly round, it goes a bit ovalish.
About the browned center, don't know. Why it has to be painted in general? I mean, the whole bottom is left bear. By the way is this type of base typical Chinese?
If the bowl is not 18th C. does it mean it is recent or it could be late Qing?

peterp

• Adept
Re: Flambe Bowl - Chinese Or Japanese?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 07:51:27 »
Not so sure about this. There are a lot of fakes of this type of washer out there, unfortunately.
What is making me suspicious is the gray ring area. That would have been the support riing on which the brush washer was standing in the kiln. But these usually left a brown color, not a gray one. And, if fired with ancient menthods, such a wide support ring would almost certainly have stuck to the bottom, leaving traces as it would have to be knocked off.

Further, the brown, covered center area is also a big question mark for me. We occasionally see sand bottoms (unglazed bottoms) with such a brown or black cover on a certain type of 18th century plates, but why should they have wanted to cover the interior of this base?
In ancient times they would only do the minimum required to get the job done...

kardinalisimo

Flambe Bowl - Chinese Or Japanese?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 07:01:17 »
I know that those are difficult to figure but any suggestions will be welcomed.