Please Register or Log In to see more forum boards.

Author Topic: Antique blue and white platter  (Read 5404 times)

peterp

• Adept
Re: Antique blue and white platter
« Reply #36 on: Nov 24, 2014, 10:11:53 »
Another definition is just "a tree with leafless branches" ...

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: Nov 24, 2014, 00:06:20 »
Hi Peter, I see what you mean about the withered trees in the Kangxi period decoration.

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: Nov 02, 2014, 10:01:03 »
Learning is what it is all about, you stated that Kangxi trees are withered I was trying to understand your statement, my definition of withered might be different from yours.

peterp

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: Nov 02, 2014, 09:39:54 »
It is never possible to be 100% sure, because later imitations are a possibility in many cases. I rather rely on the body signs...

Withered trees is what the Chinese use for trees without leaves. So, you have only branches like the trees in a colder climate in late autumn.

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: Nov 02, 2014, 05:30:35 »
May I ask what you mean by withered trees?

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: Nov 02, 2014, 00:23:35 »
I agree with you Peter, but she sure seem set that it was earlier.

peterp

• Adept
« Reply #30 on: Nov 01, 2014, 19:21:37 »
Maybe she thinks it is a certain blue color that was only used for a short time in the Kangxi period, and then never again? Could be...
I have been evaluating Kangxi, but two or three things speak against it. There are no withered tree(s), at least not as far as I can see. The mountains are not very typical for Kangxi either.
To me the decoration has no features that are very clearly indicating Kangxi;  but the body has a feature that is very important for determining if a bottom could be Qianlong. My personal view.

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: Nov 01, 2014, 13:15:39 »
Hi Peter, I showed this platter to a Chinese women that appeared to be vary knowledgable, told her that is was Qialong period and she said that she thought it was much earlier, she said the blue color was from an earlier period.

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: Oct 05, 2014, 07:59:53 »
Hi Kardinalisimo, how many 18th century porcelain items have you seen with several animals portrayed on the porcelain, not very many, i see them in books or museums but they very rarely come up for sell, I did not see one at bonhams when I searched under Chinese export porcelain, maybe that is what the appraiser meant.

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: Oct 01, 2014, 19:28:24 »
Hi Kardinalisimo, That is quite a task that you are you are taking on, to try to log all the patterns, animals, people, and ect, that could take a life time, Im sure you will learn leaps and bounds in doing so, I wish you the best of luck, it is projects like that, that eventually turn into books, sounds like it would be a good book to buy, when finished.

kardinalisimo

« Reply #26 on: Oct 01, 2014, 08:17:12 »
Interesting. I did not know that pieces with animals are more desired.
Speaking of the meaning of the depicted scenes on the Chinese porcelain, I think every single piece has a meaning. Absolutely every one.
I started to make a data base with all the patterns, animals, people, objects, borders, plants, trees, flowers etc. I was surprised to find out that a very big part of the decorations are about the Chinese Imperial examination system. Then another huge part is related to auspicious meaning, longevity, good luck, happines etc. Every combination involving bats, fish, flowers, animals etc has a meaning.
I am using mostly Chinese sources and I find it very difficult to translate the meanings. It appears that there are a lot of homonyms in the Chinese language and that is how the name of the patterns are made.
Stories from the Three Kingdoms are also common on the older pieces. Scholars, immortals, legends ... I feel like I need a whole year to study everything.
Hope that will be helful one day

peterp

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: Oct 01, 2014, 08:09:21 »
It is a fantasy creation, nothing traditional.

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2014, 07:30:06 »
Hi Calder, this looks like Banko ware to me.

calder

« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2014, 06:18:14 »
Yes Stan - Pics below.

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: Sep 30, 2014, 13:49:05 »
Calder, are you going to show us the rest of the tea pot?