Please Register or Log In to see more forum boards.

Author Topic: Antique blue and white platter  (Read 5406 times)

Stan

• Adept
Re: Antique blue and white platter
« Reply #21 on: Sep 30, 2014, 12:12:31 »
Thats interesting, auspicious meaning, thanks Peter.

peterp

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2014, 11:03:09 »
Its mainly the auspicious meaning that attracts people when it comes to animals, here. Your plate is full of auspicious meanings. The deer, the crane, pine all have auspicious meanings, as does the buffalo with the boy. Contrarily, I have had a plate with two water buffaloes, but that seems to have been of little interest, probably because that meaning was lacking.

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2014, 10:52:31 »
That must be a western thing with the animals, at lest from Bonhams view point, his very words were who would want to look and people, they would rather look at animals.

peterp

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2014, 10:17:57 »
Yes, right Stan. There is really no need for holes when drawing a circle. Overall the mark image gives the impression as if there were very faint chatter marks below the glaze. But a hands-on inspection would be appropriate to make any verification.

As regarding the decoration, the Chinese generally prefer items with people, landscapes seem to be popular too. Animals are of interest if there are deer with other auspicious objects, but there seem to have been fewer of the latter. 

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2014, 09:37:46 »
The collectors view point, I was pumping the appraiser for bohnams for information, he said what sells best here is pieces that have animals on the porcelain, he said that collectors prefer animals other than people, and that the porcelain with animals sells at a higher price, he might have a point because I have been looking for plates like this one for a long time and have never seen one until now, the only places that i see them is in books and I was told that this platter is extremely rare.

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: Sep 27, 2014, 20:58:23 »
Also, it looks like the dots on the double lines were printed and that is what is making up the lines, lots of dots, if the mark is printed then the whole decoration on the tea pot might me printed.

peterp

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2014, 20:49:07 »
The problem is that this type of Qianlong mark would only have existed in the "early" Qianlong reign, and would probably mean that the item would be imperial. The holes can be imitated too, so a mark with holes does not necessarily mean it is of the period.

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2014, 20:46:49 »
Looking at the photo you posted Calder the double circle would have been drawn on a potters wheel, there would have been no need to mark thoughs double lines, that looks a little suspicious to me.

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2014, 20:42:00 »
Yes, that is why I asked Peter if it was done in the decoration as well because in the past posts Peter has told me that they marked out the character with little prick marks before drawing it and you can see the prick marks but the prick marks are not visible all the time.

calder

« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2014, 20:22:48 »
Hi Stan,Peter would they use these small holes/pricks on their reign marks?
I ask as I have a tea pot with said marks.

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2014, 19:44:13 »
Also I noticed in the decoration, the tree with ball like decoration, is done in the same style as Qianlong, where you see the blue dots inside the balls, I have only seen that painting style in the Qianlong period, is that correct ?

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2014, 19:36:46 »
That is what it looks like small holes pricked into the base material following the decoration, I will try to get a Picture of that, it is hard to get a picture of the small indented pricks along the decoration.
Peter is that a typical way of marking the the out lines for the painting for Qianlong and JDZ ?

peterp

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2014, 15:07:46 »
What kind of mark? Can see nothing in the pictures, but if it should look as if small holes were pricked into the base material, for the lines etc., then this would be right for Qianlong and JDZ.

Stan

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2014, 08:30:24 »
A couple of things that I noticed about this platter from the canton platters is that this one is heavier than the Canton and it looks like they put marks in the porcelain before they painted for the painting of the decoration.

peterp

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2014, 11:15:21 »
It *could* be JDZ made... we can never be completely sure. The rim decoration is one of the crucial points of identification, but sometimes it is ambiguous, when it is not *typical*.
I suspect that if a foreign client would have taken a sample plate from JDZ to the canton factories, they would have painted them more or less the same.
The other factor I know of is the quality of the painted decoration.